Thursday, 22 January 2015

Description

How would you describe yourself?  It's easy to label, categorise and make assumptions about others, but in my experience we rarely get ourselves right. Especially if we set a word limit!  Like - say- one word.
If put on the spot I would certainly err on the side of idealism - and it couldn't be accurate.  Perhaps the best solution is to avoid specific descriptives altogether and leave something to the imagination.

Curves

or

Hazmat

or

Shoe

All joking aside, pinning oneself down without resorting to cliche or delusion is difficult. I wonder sometimes if just riding instinct and treating each day as a rare and tempting treat is good enough. Is it really essential to truly know ourselves? Is it enough to see ourselves reflected in how others respond to us?  Does a critical lack of personal insight shape our core values and ultimately moral behaviours?
Or does it liberate us.
I personally suspect the latter. And I suspect that we are so continually changing that having a strong sense of who we are can be a kind of lifetime sentence. There is a real tangible joy that comes from the knowledge we can change in a heartbeat. And change for our audience.
And so I shall continue to revel in all that I am, and aim to restrain myself from condensing my world into a series of one word wonders.






No comments:

Post a Comment